1. When a citation includes more than ____ authors, only the surname of the first author is cited followed by et al.
2. When referencing other works you have cited within the text of the report you should
a. State the first and last name of the author
b. Use the author, date citation method
c. Use an asterisk and a footnote
d. Insert the complete citation in parenthesis
3. Which of the following abbreviations can be used in a research report?
b. sec. for second
c. yr. for year
d. mo. for month
4. Editorial style specifies that ______ should be used infrequently or sparingly.
d. Both a and b
5. The factor that should determine whether you decide to prepare a research report of you study for a conference or for publication is
a. Whether the study is free from flaws
b. Whether the study is important enough to justify presentation or publication
c. Whether others would be interested in the work
d. All of the above
6. Which of the following is not true about the use of language in research reports?
a. You should choose accurate and clear words that are free from bias.
b. You should avoid labeling people whenever possible
c. You should avoid using the term “subjects” whenever possible
d. All of the above are true according to the APA Guidelines
7. Regarding disabilities, writers should “avoid equating people with their disabilities” such as in mentally retarded people.
8. You should avoid the use of sexist language in research reports.
9. Which is more appropriate when referring to someone with a disability?
a. A stroke victim
b. A person who has had a stroke
10. You should try to use italics frequently when writing a report.
11. You should try to use abbreviations sparingly.
12. Use words for numbers that begin a sentence and for numbers that are below ten.
13. You should double space all material in the manuscript.
14. Which of the following is not one of the seven major parts to the research report?
15. The Introduction section should not be labeled.
16. The abstract should be about how many words?
17. The Method section should start on a separate page in a manuscript.
18. It is in this section that you fully interpret and evaluate your results.
19. Where do you provide a step-by-step account of what the researcher and participants did during the research study?
20. References should be single spaced.
21. Qualitative research reports do not need a Method section.
22. When writing the qualitative results section, an overriding concern should be to provide sufficient and convincing evidence to back up your assertions.
23. When writing the qualitative results section, you will need to find an appropriate balance between description and interpretation.
24. Diagrams, matrices, tables, and figures should never be used in qualitative research reports.
25. Your textbook authors argued that in qualitative research it is important to fit the research findings back into the relevant research literature even if the study is exploratory.